Walking meetings help increase physical activity during your working day.
Why is workplace health important?
We spend up to 60% of our waking hours at work, therefore it is a key place to encourage change to habits and routines.
The cost to UK business of poor health and wellbeing per year is:
- £8bn - through productivity loss as a direct result of cardiovascular disease
- £29bn - through sickness absence
- £15.1bn - through presenteeism
Increasing physical activity levels is good for both employees and employers. There are wide ranging returns including, increasing productivity for employers and improving morale amongst employees.
The Derbyshire Workplace Challenge
The Workplace Challenge is a great way to support workplaces to be more physically active and it's free to sign up.
Use the online activity log to record your levels of physical activity and sport including active travel whilst competing with other workplaces. You can log a whole host of activities from yoga to walking, the system converts your activity to points and puts you on a leaderboard where you can check your progress.
Log activities all year round and take part in challenges throughout the year to be in with a chance of winning a prize.
Information is on hand to help
Within this section you will find information on:
- British Heart Foundation - information and guidance to help build a case for workplace health
- Workplace Wellbeing Charter - accreditation for workplaces
- The Healthy Workplaces Derbyshire programme - offers workplaces information and tools to help create a healthy workplace.
- Success Stories - workplaces across Derbyshire.
- Mental Health and Wellbeing - information to help promote metal well-being.
- Sport and Activities - find out how your workplace can get started with activity.
- Sustainable travel and smarter choices - Derbyshire County Council can help organisations to reduce on and off site congestion, strengthen your corporate image and improve cost efficiency.
- Central Health - Derby based provider of workplace health and safety services.
Different sport offers for your workplace
There are loads of different sport offers that your workplace can get involved with whether it's a lunch time running group or a rounders tournament to bring everyone together over the summer.
Click on one of these sports to find out what is on offer and how your workplace can get involved: badminton, canoeing, golf, nordic walking, rounders, running, softball, swimming, table tennis, touch rugby league, volleyball and tennis.
Loop at Work - how table tennis helps improve staff wellbeing
Watch how this workplace uses table tennis to break up their day and improve staff morale