Sports Awards Winners 2017
Danielle Walters, Dave Cartawick and Start2Jog with their awards.
On Thursday 9th November, Derbyshire's finest sportsmen and women, volunteers, coaches and ispirational people came together at The Roundhouse in Derby for the Derby Telegraph Sports Awards 2017, sponsored by Smith Partnership and in association with Champions UK Plc and Active Derbyshire.
Winner of the Active4Life Award, sponsored by Active Derbyshire was Danielle Walters from Ripley. Danielle changed her life through sport and physical activity by joining a gym, lifting weights and having lost over four stone, she is now the fittest and strongest she has ever been. Danielle has also studied to become a fitness instructor and tries to encourage others to follow her lead through the use of social media.
Runner-up in the Active4Life category was Dave Cartawick, Coach at Unit 1 Martial Arts in Chesterfield who works with local school and community groups to increase participation in martial arts and sport in general. Dave has also coached 41 students to world titles and has raised £45k for various charities over the years.
Also runner-up was Start2Jog from Hadfield, which is a running club bringing together people from the area, ranging from 16 - 70 years. They have become an England Athletic affiliated club and forged strong links with Jog Derbyshire and other local running groups in the High Peak.
See below for the full list of winners:
- Volunteer of the Year - Isobella Cottrell
- Young Sportswoman of the Year - Niamh Emerson
- Young Sportsman of the Year - Lewis White
- Junior Team of the Year - Buxton Athletic Club Juniors Fell Running Team
- Active4Life Award - Danielle Walters
- Community Award - Bounce and Cheer Education
- Service to Sport Award - Sporting Futures
- Club of the Year - Derby County Ladies Football Club
- Team of the Year - Long Eaton RFC
- Manager/Coach of the Year - Jenny Swallow
- Disabled Sportsperson of the Year - Matthew Humphreys
- Sportswoman of the Year - Annie Last
- Sportsman of the Year - Jay Clarke
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Arthur Cox