Head Swimming Coach
Modernian Swimming Club is a friendly competitive swimming club in Bedford. Following the international relocation of our current Head Coach we are now seeking a new aspirational Head Coach to lead, motivate and inspire our athletes to reach their full potential.
- Contact Name
- Jayne Ward
- Contact Telephone
- 07808 912869
- Modernian Swimming Club
About Head Swimming Coach
Modernian is currently the number one competitive swimming club in Bedfordshire. We have also just been awarded the Swim England East Region club of the Year 2019. Last season the club enjoyed unprecedented success with 7 swimmers achieving qualification for British Summer and English National championships. In addition, numerous medals were won at Regional and County level across all age groups. The club is comprised of approximately 100 members across junior and senior squads as well as having a healthy Learn-to-Swim programme, with circa 300 swimmers. The club competes in the East Midlands Premier Division of the Arena League.
We are looking for a new ambitious and engaging Head Coach to join the club. The Head Coach will be instrumental in developing the club ethos and ensuring that the club continues to inspire and engage swimmers to be the best they can be.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication, motivation and feedback skills, alongside the ability to positively inspire confidence and motivate the swimmers to reach their potential. Candidates should possess a passion for swimming and a desire to contribute to the development of the club and its performance successes. The ideal candidate will hold a Level 3 senior swimming coaching qualification. We will also consider applications from someone who holds a Level 2 swimming coach qualification, has some experience working within a competitive club environment and are willing to further their coaching qualifications.
Modernian SC is a SwimMark club and committed to safeguarding all our members. The successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check and must have or attend the UK Coaching Safeguarding and Protecting Children course.
- To effectively deliver an engaging coaching programme for the competitive squads that develops the swimmers, maximises their performance and ensures each athlete reaches their full swimming potential.
- To lead and develop our team of paid and volunteer Coaches to help them plan and deliver programmes for their squads in line with British Swimming's Optimal Athlete Development Framework (OADF).
- Be Head Coach for the club, leading our senior squad and providing leadership to our coaches who manage our junior and bridging swim school squads.
- Provide mentoring and supervision of the coaching team including completion of annual Personal Development Plans for each coach and encourage attendance of continuing professional development courses
- Undertake all necessary administration to ensure all training is planned, monitored and evaluated.
- Work with the committee to oversee the selection of competitions and galas for the squads to compete in across the year to provide an appropriate selection of events and opportunities for all swimmers
- Actively encourage members to take part in competitions at relevant points in training cycles. Attend all appropriate galas and provide swimmers with feedback and guidance to improve. Use the feedback given to guide the planning of future coaching and ensure swimmers meet their personal goals
- Monitor swimmers' progress and co-ordinate swimmer transition within the squad structure (in conjunction with the other squad coaches), communicate with parents and the committee on performance pathways and longer-term squad transition plans
- Oversee the strength and conditioning programme for the competitive squads, ensuring that dry land training complements swimmers pool training maximising performance
- In conjunction with other learn to swim providers in Bedford, develop a pathway for competitive swimming for those individuals who want to pursue swimming at a competitive level
- Lead our UK and/or Overseas training camp provision, including attendance and coaching.
- In conjunction with the committee develop the club ethos and long-term sustainability.
- Follow Health and Safety procedures and the Swim England Child Protection Policy. Be aware and understand the facilities Emergency Action Plan (EAP) and Normal Operating Procedures (NOP).
This Job Description sets out the main responsibilities of the role but it should not be taken as a complete or exhaustive list of responsibilities.
Working hours will be split between time on pool deck coaching sessions and administrative duties as necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes Required
- A UKCC/Swim England Level 2 Coaching qualification
- Prepared to work towards UKCC/Swim England Level 3 Senior Swimming Coach qualification
- Current NPLQ or NRASTC qualification
- Full enhanced DBS check
- Current safe guarding certificate recognised by Swim England (currently Safeguarding and Protecting Children (scUK)
- A high level of technical knowledge and understanding of British Swimming's Optimal Athlete Development Framework (OADF).
- Willingness to engage with county, regional or national coach development programmes
- Commitment to ongoing CPD activity
- Entitled to live and work in the UK
- Enthusiasm, inspiration and demonstrable innovation through coaching practice
- Excellent time management, communication and organisation skills
How to apply
Please send your CV and letter explaining why you would be suitable for the role , via the apply button.
For more information contact: Jayne Ward, Club Chair, via the telephone number or apply button below. Visits to a training session or an informal discussion would be welcomed.
We are keen to appoint this role as soon as practically possible, therefore early applications are encouraged.Contact phone07808 912869
Please note: Unless specified, the below job vacancies are advertised on behalf of third-parties and are not roles directly with Active Notts or Active Derbyshire. Active Derbyshire is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, it is recommended that you contact them directly.