Youth Sport Trust Girls Active
About Girls Active
The award winning Girls Active was created on the back of a 12 month action research project conducted by the Youth Sport Trust, and is supported by Women in Sport. They currently deliver Girls Active to support thousands of girls across England and Northern Ireland, funded in England by Sport England (with alignment to This Girl Can) and a number of local partners, and in Northern Ireland by Sport NI.
Six Principles of Effective Practice
There are six key principles that underpin effective practice in engaging girls in PE, sport and physical activity. These have positive relationships at their core and should be supported by whole school policies and practice.
- Take a long-term approaching to engaging girls
- Put developing self-confidence at the heart of PE
- Make PE and sport relevant to girls' lives
- Recognise the power of friends to drive progress
- Develop role models for the future
- Empower girls to design and deliver PE and sport.
Six Principles of Effective Practice (PDF, 1.4 Mb)