Shooting is a tense sport that requires immense reserves of skill, concentration and nerve.
An Overview of Shooting
Target shooting comprises of over 41 different disciplines across 3 main categories (Fullbore Rifle & Pistol, Small-bore Rifle & Pistol, and Shotgun) It is an Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth sport and at the elite level shooting has seen Team GB and home country athletes consistently medalling.
Click here for local NGB contacts.
Shooting is a tense sport that requires skill, concentration and nerve. Strength, stamina, hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills are all improved by taking part. On top of this some other benefits include:
- Age is no barrier – it is truly a lifetime sport
- Disability no barrier – people of all abilities can take part
- Gender no barrier – male and female shooters can develop equal abilities
- Holistic – combines physical, technical and psychological development
- Can be enjoyed outdoors or indoors
- Very safe
- Low impact
- Not expensive consumables can be very low cost (e.g. for airgun events)
- Disciplined approach promotes responsibility especially in young people
Many clubs offer free taster sessions.
Gun ownership is strictly licensed in the United Kingdom, you can rent equipment from clubs, with members often hiring guns at concessionary rates.
- Shooting has been an Olympic sport since the first modern Games in 1896.
Find Shooting Activities Near You
Use the search below to find local activities near you.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- Lisa Davies
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone